The ACI Southern California Chapter Concrete Awards includes six potential awards to recognize outstanding achievements in various categories of concrete construction. One distinguished project may receive the Charles J. Pankow, Jr. Award, which recognizes outstanding and innovative use of concrete in construction. This award was established by the Southern California Chapter in 1984 in honor of Charles J. Pankow, Jr. who served as the International President of ACI in 1980-1981 and was active in the Southern California Chapter since its founding. The award is made annually, if, in the judgment of the Awards Committee(s), a qualified project and contractor are nominated.
The citation on the original award presented to Charles Pankow on March 22, 1984 reads:
Charles J. Pankow, Jr.
For Distinguished Service to the Concrete Industry as National ACI President, Director and TAC Member. One of the Founders of the Southern California Chapter, Innovative Engineer, and Builder Leader in Concrete Construction
1. Outstanding Achievement and Excellence in Concrete Construction
2. Outstanding Performance in Design and Engineering
3. Innovative Use of Concrete in Construction
4. Excellence in Environmental Usage of Concrete
5. Excellent Use of Concrete in Residential Construction
6. Decorative Use of Concrete in Construction
Charles J. Pankow, Jr. Award: One project of outstanding merit will be selected from the above-listed categories to receive the distinguished Charles J. Pankow Award
All projects must:
· Be considered substantially complete and/or turned over to the owner between October 2019 and September 2020
· Be located in one of the following counties: Los Angeles, Orange, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, Ventura, Riverside or San Bernardino
· Utilize concrete as an architectural finish, structural element, or artwork
· Have informed and received consent from all members of the project team
· Outstanding achievement in terms of final work product results, construction schedule, and/or construction quality by the construction team
· Unique utilization of concrete as an architectural finish, structural element, or artwork
· Innovative substitution of concrete for other building materials (asphalt, steel, etc.)
· Use of concrete to increase the project’s overall sustainability
1. Completed Online Entry Form.
a. Specify Award Category for submission
b. Indicate with to whom the plaques should be given (company or individual person)
c. Verify accurate spelling of names for award plaques
2. Minimum of 6 / Maximum of 10 high-quality digital photos with description for each. Video footage is allowed in addition to digital photos.
3. A one-page narrative highlighting concrete usage(s) on the project. Include detailed information regarding quantity of concrete utilized (cubic yards), design strength, and/or special applications (i.e. high-early strength, specialty aggregates or admixtures, innovative use of mineral admixtures, unique job conditions, etc.)
4. General description of project for use during the awards presentation (a detailed summary is encouraged)
Presentation of awards will occur in November at the Annual Concrete Awards event hosted by ACI Southern California Chapter. Details for the event pertaining to Covid-19 precautions will be provided at a later date; it has not yet been determined whether this event will be held in-person or virtually. Information gathered for the purpose of this awards program may be published in various media outlets (print, Internet, Social Media) for the purpose of highlighting concrete’s use in design and construction.
Deadline for Entries: FRIDAY OCTOBER 9, 2020
For questions regarding the ACISCC Concrete Awards program, please contact Heather Todak, by phone at (626)-696-4664 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org